Thursday, November 18, 2010

The Lion King

Last night my mother-in-law and sister-in-law took me to see The Lion King in Chicago for my birthday.  It was amazing, especially for a costumer like me!  I wasn't too impressed with some of the singing, and I think the audio wasn't balanced correctly a few times (I could barely make out the words) but the costuming absolutely made up for it.

I'd heard from day one that the costumes in The Lion King were breathtaking, and sitting in the second seat from the aisle, I was able to look at the costumes in detail as the cast walked up to the stage.  At one point the hyenas were all coming down the aisle - they were SCARY.  I said, "oh god!" and one hyena turned and yelled "BOO!" right in my sister-in-law's face!  We both jumped a mile.  Totally awesome.


So now I want to make a hyena costume for a future Dragon*Con.  It will be REALLY complicated, so I don't know if I'll ever actually attempt it.  But I'm definitely tossing this idea around, trying to figure out what I'd need to do, what materials I'd use, etc.   I wish I could show how the hyenas look from the side - they are just amazing!

Matt pointed out that Dragon*Con is a scifi convention.  I so do not care.  These are COOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment