Monday, September 6, 2010

Quiver

Matt totally made the quiver all on his own. Well, I did a little bit, but he did the most work. I think this is THE most phenomenal part of the costume!

We started with PVC that was about the right diameter. Holding it over a grill, Matt worked the plastic until he had widened the top a bit. He did this by pushing it down over a wine bottle. Then he held it over the grill again and got it to curve just a bit.

He sketched the pattern onto the PVC freehand, and then carved it out using the dremmel. It looks fantastic!



I then finished it off. I made a bottom using Sculpey - all I did was roll out a 1/4" piece and press the bottom of the quiver into the Sculpey. I baked it and attached it with hot glue, but then finished the edges with DAS clay. I then sanded down the clay.


I then spray painted the entire thing with ivory spray paint.

I then used the same technique from the vanbrace to make the pattern stand out - really watered down acrylic paint brushed on and wiped off. It was a bit too much, so I then went over the entire thing one more time with a very thin coat of spray paint. I also had to paint the SP - for Susan Pevensie - on the top of the quiver. I used metallic silver acrylic paint for that.


The last thing I had to do was attach the belt. I measured a regular belt from where it would attach on the quiver and attach on my person, then cut it. I drilled several holes through the leather so that I had several options - I could make the belt shorter or longer. I then drilled a small hole in the quiver and attached the belt to the quiver with a small screw.

Tada! Here is an original for comparison:

7 comments:

  1. can you tell me which diameter did you use for your quiver ?? I want to re-do mine, and your idea of the PVC pipe its fantastic :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, Blogspot wasn't sending me comments for a while, so I just saw this. I'm not sure what diameter I used, as it's been stretched out since then. I just eyeballed it ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. where did you get the design....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We referenced the books "The Crafting of Narnia: The Art, Creatures, and Weapons of Weta Workshop" and "Prince Caspian: The Official Illustrated Movie Companion". They have great photos and concept art.

      Delete
  4. what degress of heat did you use..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We originally heated it with a heat gun, but it was hard to manage, so we held it over a lit grill until it started getting pliable. No idea what degree it was at.

      Delete