Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Eomer Fabrics

My husband Matt made all of the armor and props for Eomer, which you can read all about here.  However, he was running out of time before Dragon Con, so I offered to make his tunic and skirt. 

These are the reference photos we used.  I'm not sure where we got this one from, sorry.

This reference photo of the embroidery is from Alley Cat Scratch.

For the tunic, I used a Wuji Charcoal Shirting from JoAnn Fabrics.  Matt drafted the pattern for me based on a pattern he found here.

I hand-drafted the collar and attached it, using craft foam in between the layers for support.  I also sewed button holes onto the front and wove a leather cord through to tie it.

For the skirt, I used Zhan Hunter Target from Joann Fabrics.  I drafted a pattern based on length (mid-knee) and width.  The corners are rounded, and it's also split in the back.  I added ties to hold it up, but I may replace those with buttons.  There is a yellow gold embroidery all down the sides and bottom, with intricate embroidery on each corner.  I didn't get around to doing the corner embroidery, but I'll finish that up later.  The embroidery on the edges is essentially a series of ovals with more intricate embroidery connecting them.  I made a pattern and pinned it to one side and traced it with a marker to make half of the ovals, then free-handed the other side of the oval.

I embroidered the skirt with my machine using a stitch length of 3.5 with a stitch length of just over 0.  I did the ovals first, and after those were done, eyeballed the half oval that goes from the bottom of one oval to the top of the one beneath it.  It was my first time doing any embroidery on the machine, so I think it turned out pretty well.

Here's the final product (sorry, we have it tied incorrectly in this shot):

I still need to distress everything, but there wasn't time.  And again, the full costume, because it's just so gorgeous:

No comments:

Post a Comment