Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Unsupportive Cosplay Community?

In the past few months, I've been reading a ton of articles on negativity in the cosplay world.  Men attacking women.  Women attacking women.  Women telling other women not to attack women.  Women attacking men for attacking women.  I just don't know what to think.

I'm not a well-known cosplayer or anything, but I have a lot of costumes up at Cosplay.com.  I've been blogging for almost three years about my costumes.  I've made friends in the cosplay community, and I've sat on two cosplay panels.  I know that negativity is out there, because I've read first-hand accounts of girls getting ripped apart for their weight, their skills, or their looks.  To me, it does make sense that the famous cosplayers attract negative attention, just because they're so prevalent in the community.  Anyone who has such a big presence is always going to end up with at least a few trolls.

However, I've never experienced it.  Not once has someone make a negative comment to me about my costume, either in person or online.  The worst comment I've had is, "hey - V for Vendetta!"  Oh, and that time at Dragon*Con when the BritTrack Costume panel didn't know that I was a Doctor Who character.  I may have had a comment or two in passing someone at a con or something (there are always a few drunk assholes), but if that happened, I clearly don't remember it.  Everything that has been said to me has been overwhelmingly positive.  Sure, there have been some creepy encounters (like the guy who stuck his tongue all over my Clockwork mask) or rude encounters (like the people hitting the Fruity Oaty Bar Girls in the head), but nothing that was overtly sexual harassment, or aimed at me because of my gender.  In my experience, assholes are generally assholes to everyone.  Maybe it's because I'm not well known.  Maybe it's because I'm not drop-dead gorgeous.  Maybe it's because I don't put myself in a situation where I'd attract unwanted attention (I don't wear skin-tight costumes).  I do know it's not because my costumes are so amazing that they're above reproach - they're good, but the girls who seem to get these comments are essentially professionals.

So, my question to all of you is this:  Have you ever had someone criticize you or make negative comments about your costumes?

No comments:

Post a Comment